Monday, December 27, 2010

Our Family of Four

Adjusting to being a family of four has been easier than I ever thought possible. Emma is in love with her little brother. She just stares at him and says, "baby! Wow!" She wants to hug and kiss him all the time. We try to make sure she doesn't touch his hands or face, though, because she has a cold. Emma has been her normal terror self, but she is not acting out from jealousy. She is just being Emma. But as terrible as she can be, Emma is still my sweet pumpkin pie. She is dancing and singing songs now. She is speaking in sentences, and one of those sentences is "I love you".


Christmas was a blast, but boy oh boy does it last forever when you have a hungry newborn and busy body toddler. We had to open some of Emma's presents for her, because she lost interest. Emma loves all of her new toys. She has a kitchen with a bake set, a tent with a tunnel entrance, a frog night light that plays music and projects stars, a shopping cart, some puzzles and a few other toys. Emma has been "cooking" in her kitchen since we put it together, and she already has a stash of toys in her tent. Every night she sleeps with her frog. She just stares at the stars until she passes out.



Asher either slept or ate through the opening of all his presents. He got several outfits, some toys and a couple of pacifiers. Daddy also got him some hooded towels.


Paul and I both loved all of our gifts. Later in the day, I had a melt down, but Paul let me cry and made me feel better. I was feeling guilty about Asher not having enough amniotic fluid when he was still in my belly. I felt like a failure for being able to tolerate labor without an epidural. Asher's bandages from his circumcision stuck, and he bled and screamed when I pulled them off. I trimmed his nails and cut one of his fingers. I felt like I was neglecting Emma. I was sad about not being able to pick Emma up. Oh I could go on forever about all the things I was feeling guilty over and sad about. On top of that, I was missing my belly and feeling Asher in I was getting cabin fever. We went for a nice long car ride, and the fresh air did us all some good.

Today Asher had his first well baby check, and it went very well. He has gained two ounces, and he is still perfect. Asher eats a lot throughout the day, and he sleeps for about 3-4 hours at a time at night. He rarely cries and mostly just grumbles when he's unhappy. He didn't even cry when he had his heel pricked. Asher doesn't have to go back for his two week check up, as he's already reached the milestones they check for at that appointment. The next well baby check will be when Asher is two months old.


Emma discovered her shadow last night, and it terrified her. She ran all around the kitchen trying to get away from it, and finally ran to Paul to have him pick her up. I showed her how shadows can wave, and she figured out they also give great high fives and fist bumps. After that, Emma decided shadows weren't so bad.

Asher had his first bath since we've been home. He hated it, so I didn't take any pictures. Emma watched him the whole time, and was very concerned for him. After Emma and Asher both got dressed for bed, we went into Emma's room for story time with Daddy. Emma gave us all hugs and kisses, but she gave Asher more love than anyone else.


I really feel that Asher completes our family at this point. I would still love to have more children in the future, but I am very happy with things as they are right now. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to give Emma the attention she is used to. It turns out I was right, but Emma doesn't care. All three of us devote time to Asher that was previously given to some one else. She doesn't get as much attention as she did before, but Emma is perfectly fine with that.


I am sure this is mostly just a long ramble of a post. I am tired and trying to remember everything I've been meaning to share. In just a few hours, Asher will be one week old. I'm not sure how that happened so fast. Time flies by, so I'll go for now. I need to nuzzle Emma once more before I go cuddle and feed Asher. Then I'll crawl into bed with my sweet husband and thank him for giving me such a wonderful life.

2 comments:

Sarann said...

Awww, I'm sorry you had a break down, it's hard after you have a baby and all those hormones hit you like a ton of bricks. Do not blame yourself, you are a great Mama and everything is ok!

Tabatha said...

Thank you so much, Sarah! The hormones definitely suck. haha! At least Asher is an easy baby and I'm able to get some sleep. That's definitely helping.