Thursday, October 9, 2008

Finding out the big news

This past June, my mom and sister came to visit. The entire time they were here, my sister kept commenting on how she thought I was either pregnant or how I would be soon. I told her we were not going to have a baby for a while, but she insisted.

After my mom and sister left, I cried and cried, because my house seemed so lonely and empty. Paul said to me, "don't be sad. The next time you see them you will be pregnant and have something to celebrate". I asked him what in the heck he was talking about, and he said he had no idea. Shortly after, Paul was called away on a fire. Before he left, I said, "when you come back, can we have a baby?" His response... "no". I said that was fine, since I was only joking.

Right after Paul got back, my sister came back to visit with her boyfriend and our dad. This time, I was getting mildly car sick every time we drove long distances. I had a strong aversion to alcohol and I was pretty sleeping. I was also a bit irritable, but that is not completely out of the ordinary. My sister was still sure I was pregnant, and Dad gave Paul and I a "baby talk". He asked when grandkids were going to start coming, and I said not anytime soon. Dad is not generally one to just start talking about babies, so this was a little unusual. He told us about how we will never be "ready" or have enough money. It is just something we would have to do, and everything would work out in the end. I already felt that way (but was content to wait a few years), but Paul said it really made him feel better about someday having a baby.

As time went by, I was still feeling "yucky", but I had a horribly painful stomachache. A lady at the bank we use, swore up and down that I was pregnant. I hold her I had never heard pregnancy described as the way I was feeling. "Plus", I said. "I'm feeling crampy, so I'm pretty sure my friend will visit soon". Around this same time, a few other people jokingly said I was pregnant. Now, I was not running around town complaining of not feeling well. People who had been given no provocation, suddenly thought it would be funny to say I was pregnant.

The last straw came when Paul and I were at Subway. My stomach was killing me, and I felt like shit! There is no better way to describe it. All I wanted was sleep. Paul said, "I really think you're pregnant". I refused to believe him. After all, I was feeling crampy and tired. However, I did have a doctor appointment coming up the following week, and I didn't want to go to my appointment, share my symptoms and have to say, "why, no, Doctor. I am this cruddy feeling, this late and I have NOT taken a pregnancy test". So, just to be safe, I decided I would stop by the pharmacy before heading back to work.

I refused to buy any brand other than First Response, because I heard it is more effective sooner. If I was going to take this test, I wanted no doubts in my mind that I was NOT pregnant. You see, I was taking this test to prove everyone wrong... to prove I was NOT pregnant. It is not that I didn't want to be pregnant or that pregnancy would ruin my life. I just really didn't think I was. So I go to the pharmacy, and the only First Response test they had was in a three pack. I figure I may as well buy the pack. Then I can take a test that day, take another over the weekend and take the final test the morning before my doctor appointment. So I grudgingly spend twenty-something dollars, thinking all the while how I just wasted twenty-something dollars, and I head home.

I decide to take the test before I head back to work, just so I will have confirmation that I am not pregnant. I use the test, set it aside and I go water the garden. When I come back to check on the test, I only see one line at first. Laughing at myself for wasting twenty-something dollars, I go to pick up the test to throw it away. It is at that point that I notice there are two lines. TWO LINES!!!! Oh... my... GOD!!!!

No comments: