Friday, October 10, 2008

Sharing the news

When my pregnancy test came back positive, I was completely and utterly shocked. Yet more excited than I have ever been in my life. What a terrific surprise. Now I just have to tell my husband, who is out of town for the day and out of cell service. So I take a picture of the test with my phone and send it to him to see when he gets back in the area. Being a guy, I was pretty sure he had no idea what the lines meant. I then sent the picture to my sister who called and said, "I told you. Congratulations." Sister was right! Almost as bad as husband being right. I then sent an animated e-mail to my mom and dad. You can put a picture of your face on a girl that dances around and suddenly has big boob, a big belly and some ice cream. The message says, "guess who's prego!" I send my mom a text telling her to check her e-mail. She calls and says, "no. I am sleeping". I tell her fine, check it later when she gets up. She asks if congratulations are in order. What the hell!! Can't I surprise anybody? Am I seriously the only one who had no idea? Mom checks her e-mail, calls back laughing and says, "Congratulations. We are really already knew though". How? I was not pregnant when she was here. I was only just pregnant when Dad was here. However, they were right. They all knew.

That evening, when I got off work, I anxiously awaited the arrival of Paul. I had received numerous calls from him and a response to the picture asking, "what does this mean?!" That is a direct quote. Punctuation and all. I was taking a nap when he got home. I had left the test where he would see it. The test very clearly says what two lines means. He comes in, crawls on the bed and asks, "does this mean what I think it means?" My very graceful, and tactful response? "If you can read, then yes, it means what you think it means". There was no way to burst his bubble, even with my spoken-before-thought-about response. He starting bouncing up and down on the bed and cheering. No wife could ever ask for a more wonderful reaction. Remember that I have said before that Paul is a mellow and subdued kind of guy. Bouncing around and cheering was something very new, and very relieving. We went out that night and celebrated over dinner. Him with a beer, me with a water.

Not all responses to our news were as exciting as Paul's, and a couple were even downright rude. However, for the most part, our real friends were very excited for us. At first, I wanted to keep the news a secret until the second trimester. After about three days, I said forget it. I decided if something went wrong, having told no one would not make us feel any better about it. By telling, we would be celebrating the baby from the start, and whatever the outcome, the baby would have been loved by all who love us from the beginning. I have never regretted telling a single person. Even those who were asses about the news. I have felt support and received comfort from our friends and family, and I can't imagine having held this secret from everyone for so long.

A final thing I should mention about the day we found out is the song we heard on the radio. After leaving dinner that evening, the first song on the radio was "Danny's Song". How often does that song play on the radio nowadays? I got tears in my eyes and wondered how much of a sign it was. Obviously it was someone's way of telling us, "everything is gonna be all right". But was it also a way of telling us, "think I'm gonna have a son"? I guess we'll see.

For those who don't know Danny's Song. Here are the lyrics. Every time I read them or hear the song, I get tears in my eyes. I am just so happy, and I have never loved anything as much as I love my little baby...
People smile and tell me I'm the lucky one, and we've just begun,
Think I'm gonna have a son.
He will be like she and me, as free as a dove, conceived in love,
Sun is gonna shine above.

Chorus:
And even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with ya honey,
And everything will bring a chain of love.
And in the morning when I rise, you bring a tear of joy to my eyes,
And tell me everything is gonna be alright.

Seems as though a month ago I beta cha, never got high,
Oh, I was a sorry guy.
And now a smile, a face, a girl that shares my name,
Now I'm through with the game, this boy will never be the same.

(To chorus:)
Pisces, Virgo rising is a very good sign, strong and kind,
And the little boy is mine.
Now I see a family where there once was none, now we've just begun,
Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun.

(To chorus:)

Love the girl who holds the world in a paper cup, drink it up,
Love her and she'll bring you luck.
And if you find she helps your mind, buddy, take her home,
Don't you live alone, try to earn what lovers own.

(To chorus:)

No comments: